A brief history of the building
The Hotel Príncipe da Beira arises from the recovery of the old Fundão Seminary. The intervention in the building consisted of the remodeling the main body and the expansion of the old building.
The architectural and historical cultural interest lies in the fact that it served as a shelter for institutions, which in different ways and at different times contributed to the county ‘s economic and cultural development.
There is no record of the date of construction, the data collected indicate that it was built in the mid-eighteenth century, at the time of Marques de Pombal, starting its activity as a spinning mill that produced the yarns for Covilhã city weaving. With the political instability of the early nineteenth century, the factory closes its doors.
Occupied by the Fundão Minor Seminary between 1919 and 1935, the building came to life thanks to the importance of that institution. In fact, the existence of the Seminar allowed many children from poorer backgrounds to study.
Great were the names that went through this school that stood out in various areas, from art to science and clerical vocation, such as Virgilio Ferreira, Jose Nuno Figueiredo, Nicolau Firmino, Abel Pereira Delgado, Agostinho Homem, Jose Soares da Fonseca, José António Saraiva and Aquilino Ribeiro. For them, the Old Seminary was a permanent source of inspiration.
In 1935 the building was occupied by the São José Shelter for 39 years. This Shelter was a school of traditional crafts with woodwork and carpentry, teaching alternative forms of work, besides agriculture. In 1974 the school of arts and crafts was transferred to the village of Joanes. With the construction of the new seminary, the building became a shelter for refugees from the former Portuguese colonies.
In 1975 the Diocese of the city of Guarda acquires the building.
In the early eighties, when the former refugees from the former colonies left the site, the building was bought by private individuals who started shortly afterwards, the reconstruction works of the building that today housed what is now the Príncipe da Beira Hotel, It owes its name to the 18th century fort built by the Portuguese army in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil.
In 2017, after being closed for almost 4 years, acquired by a new owner, Hotel Príncipe das Beiras underwent refurbishment and maintenance works and reopened in December of that year.
Brief Hotel Description
All rooms at Príncipe da Beira Hotel include free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, a TV, a minibar and a modern bathroom with toiletries and a hairdryer.
Príncipe da Beira’s restaurant, serves regional specialties, while at the Bar you can enjoy snacks and drinks. The garden provides a sunny setting for cocktails, parties or receptions.
Hotel Príncipe da Beira has a lounge where guests can relax by the fireplace or read a book from the library. It also offers a number of board games and the children’s room includes a console.
The 24-hour front desk offers room service and a laundry service. Guests can purchase locally made accessories and items at the gift shop.
Príncipe da Beira is located near the A-23 motorway, a 15-minute drive from Covilhã and offers free private parking.
We seek to provide, through our team and accommodation, catering, therapies and activities, the possibility of discovering a more harmonious path through an encounter with oneself, awakening to emotional, physical and spiritual potentialities.
Take up your free time during your stay !! We have some suggestions to better enjoy our spaces and to know our region and its surroundings.